Herriman High School's PLT
Things you should know about PLT:
- PLT stands for Peer Leadership Team.
- You can apply for PLT as long as they have at least a cumulative 2.5 GPA, do not use illegal drugs or alcohol, and have not been involved in other illegal activities. Basically, any student who can lead through example first and foremost can apply to be a Peer Leader.
- PLT is a class that meets during 7th period. The class is a full year. Because it is a class, there will be things to learn and assignments. You will be graded on how well you perform, if you are learning, becoming a better leader, etc. Not just if you show up. At least 10 hours of work for PLT projects outside of class will be expected from each student each quarter.
- There are some expenses for PLT (i.e. T-shirt around $5, summer trainings, etc.)
- Members of PLT are asked to provide their own transportation to various locations during school time (i.e. other schools). This requires special permission and accommodation from parents/guardians.
- Throughout the school year you will have the opportunity to complete a service learning activity—which needs to take at least 5 hours. 20 hours of service (some on which we will complete in class) will be required each quarter.
- PLT plays a special role during Hearts of Gold, and other school activities.
- You will learn how to serve students around you, including those who may be severely disabled.
- You will also be trained by Jordan School District in order to work with 6th graders at local schools on how to resist pressure to use harmful substances, bully others, or participate in other threatening activities. You will go to the elementary schools and share those presentations.
- We are looking for students who want to LEAD, SERVE, and UNITE with other student leaders who share that desire. You are those people! It is a great day to be a Mustang!